Methi Baingain (Fenugreek Brinjal)
Brinjals, also known as Eggplant in many countries, is very good for our health. Check out some of the health Benefits of Eggplant-
- The skin of eggplant contains a phytonutrient that helps protect the lipids (fats) in brain cell membranes.
- Eggplant is a rich source of phenolic compounds an antioxidant that can help prevent cancer, cholesterol build-up and bacterial and viral infection.
- Eggplant has a high fiber content which can prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, and colitis.
- Eggplant is naturally low in calories and has no fat. A cup has only 38 calories.
- Lowers cholesterol by preventing its absorption in the intestines.
- Eggplant can help in cases of stomach ulcers
- It can help in various nervous conditions.
- Eggplant contains a large amount of water. It is good for balancing diets that are heavy in protein and starches.
- Fresh Fenugreek (methi) Leaves- 1 Bunches (chopped)
- Brinjal- 6
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Amchur Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10
- Green Chilli - 1 chopped
- Onion- 1/2 (big-chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste- 1 tsp
- Tomato- 1/2 (big, chopped)
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1tsp
- Cumin Powder- 1tsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1tsp
- Cilantro (Dhania patta) Leaves- 1/2 bunch (chopped)
- Slit the brinjals lengthways into four keeping the stem intact.
- Rub the salt with one teaspoon of chilli powder and amchur into slit brinjals and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, add the curry leaves, green chilli and onions and saute till the onions turn golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and continue to saute for one minute. Stir in the chopped tomato, remaining chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Add the turmeric powder, garam masala powder and half a cup of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the brinjals, fenugreek leaves and salt. Seal the cooker with the lid and cook till the pressure is released once (one whistle). Lower heat and cook for two minutes.
- Take the cooker off the heat and remove the lid when the pressure has reduced.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.