Sabudana Khichdi with peanuts (Fried Sago cooked w/peanuts)

When I moved to California, I had no friends, was completely lonely. Was looking for people with like minded people, and met an awesome woman whose son was also in my kid's class. I got this recipe for my this awesome friend, her name is Sulakshna. This recipe is her special recipe, and my this post is dedicated to her. It's a typical way of making sabudana Khichdi in state of Maharashtra in India.

In last few years I have learnt planning is the key to happiness. I am a full time working mom, whose in-laws also lives with her. Finishing household work with full time job and maintaining passion for cooking is actually a challenge. And which eventually leads to minimal cooking.

But in last few years, planning is a key, if I want to feed delicious food in every meal at the same time it is important that I am not overloaded with work. So, I started planning meals atleast 1 day ahead. Like for this Sabudana Khichdi I already knew a night before what is going to be my next day's dinner. I took out the enough sago I wanted to cook in a bowl night before and left it covered on my kitchen counter. Next day while making breakfast, I added double amount of water in the bowl and let it get soaked for another 2 hours. Then, when I went in Kitchen to cook lunch, I drained this water and left Sago in colander for approximately an hour. After lunch, I moved it in the airtight container and moved it to fridge till the time I wanted to cook it. You can do this process well in advance. This soaked sago can easily stay in airtight container inside the fridge easily for 2 days. In India, this dish is considered as fasting food but I can eat it at any given day.

Took this box out of fridge half an hour before I started cooking. Believe me this trick helped me keep my sanity as well as keep my lovely family happy too.


Preparation time -  5-7 minutes
Cooking time - 15 minutes

Ingredients you need (4 people) -
  1. Soaked Sago - 5 handful
  2. Oil - 2tbsp
  3. Roasted Peanuts- 1 handful + 1/2 cup (crushed)
  4. Paneer / Extra firm Tofu (cubed) - 1 cup
  5. Cumin seeds- 1tsp
  6. Green Chilli - 2 slit (optional)
  7. Green onions - 1/2 cup
Directions to follow - 
  • Soak Sago in a big bowl for 2 hours.
  • Drain the water, and keep it colander for sometime.
  • Meanwhile, heat oil in a big open pan.
  • Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
  • Add slitted chillis, saute on high flame and then add tofu cubes.
  • Add salt and saute on high flame.
  • When cubes start turning brown, add soaked sago and crushed peanuts and mix.
  • Stir on high flame.
  • Add green onions and serve.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baked Peas Kachori #Breadbakers

Focaccia Bread #BreadBakers

Oats Garlic Kulcha #BreadBakers