Tsoureki (Greek Easter Bread) #BreadBakers

Life is sometimes so unpredictable. 2 weeks back, when my Kiddo's school was closing for a Spring Break, I was quite happy... I thought I will get more time, and will explore more in different cuisines.. But, things never actually happen the way you want them too..

2 days of Spring break, was awesome.. And then, came the most dreaded days and nights for me and my Kiddo. She was already having cold, but then she was ok, and all the symptoms says it's a regular cold and cough. I was doing everything I could do to give her relief, but then suddenly on 3rd day, her fever started and she became dull... I called up on my Insurance Nurseline, they scared me, and asked me to take her to Urgent Care... Those first 3 days of her illness, was too scary... And slowly, she started coming back to herself again... My plans of all the cooking, went into vain, as I was completely concentrating on her.... Frankly speaking, I was too worried for her, to think about cooking... Well, time passed and she is doing fine now... Heard a saying, long time back, "All's well, if it ends well". And here we are, making, baking and cooking again.


Since, she was recovering, I wanted to make something which suits her taste buds... So, all the internet searching for this event, which also suits her taste bud, narrowed my search to this awesome bread- Tsoureki [Greek Easter bread]. While researching, I stumbled across this awesome recipe of Tsoureki by chow.com. I did some changes according to my requirement and ingredients available in my pantry. Well, I am happy, it turn out to be delicious.

Tsoureki is a bread, made by people of Greek's in Easter. It is basically made sweet, and is eaten after main meal, in the form of dessert. It is a braided, sweet, egg- enriched bread, and has roots in western and central asia. [ Got this information from Wikipedia]


BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla has chosen breads from around the world that are traditional for Easter, Passover or Springtime. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's our International Easter/Passover/Spring Bread Basket, in alphabetical order...

So, here is my recipe for the delicious Tsoureki bread -



Ingredients you will need-
  1. Milk - 3/4 cup
  2. Yeast - 1 packet [ 2 1/2 tsp]
  3. All Purpose Flour- 4 cups
  4. Granulated Sugar - 3/4 cup
  5. Salt- 1tsp
  6. Butter - 8 tbsp+ 2tbsp
  7. Eggs - 2 + 1 egg white
  8. Orange [Clementine] - 1 [zest and juice]
  9. Cinnamon Powder - 1tsp
  10. Broken almonds - 2tbsp
Directions to follow - 
  • Warm Milk and sprinkle yeast, on it, stir and let it sit for about  minutes.
  • In another bowl, mix All Purpose Flour with Sugar, salt, zest of clementine and Cinnamon powder.
  • In a 3rd bowl, beat eggs.. Melt butter in a microwave and mix it with eggs.
  • Pour egg mixture to the milk mixture, and mix till blended.
  • Little by little add flour mixture to the egg mixture.
  • A tight dough will start to form.
  • Add clementine juice to the dough,  and knead.
  • Transfer the dough on floured surface, and knead it for 5 minutes.
  • Spray oil on the dough, and cover it with  a warm kitchen towel, and leave it in a warm place for 2 hours, and let it rise.
  • After 2 hours, add 2 tbsp of melted butter and knead the dough, till it becomes soft.
  • Now, divide the whole dough in 3 parts, and roll all of them in a long strand.

  • Join all 3 of them, from 1 end, and pinch them together, and press them inside towards down. I like to do on the wrapper of butter, as it works as a nice parchment paper.

  • Start braiding.

  • When reaching end, again pinch all the strands together and push them inside to give a finish look.

  • Put it again in the warm place, and let it rise for 30-35 minutes.
  • Brush it with an egg white.
  • Press all the almonds decoratively on the dough.

  • Bake it for 30 minutes, at 350 degrees in a preheated oven.
  • Once out of oven, brush it with a butter.

  • Slice and enjoy it warm, topped with a layer of whipped cream and honey drizzle all over it.
  • Yummm, I am again hungry.

Comments

Renee said…
Glad your Kiddo is feeling better. It's rough when someone in the family is so sick. Your bread looks lovely and sure to be a great sweet ending to an Easter meal.
Bubbe Bites said…
Sorry to hear about your kiddo. I hate it when my little one is sick. I hope everyone enjoyed your bread during the Easter season.
Stacy Rushton said…
It's always so scary when our children are ill, Shilpi. Fever is the worst! I'm so glad she is feeling better now and you were able to bake with us. Your loaf is beautiful all studded with almonds!
Adam said…
Glad to hear everyone is feeling better! I know if I were sick this bread would certainly help!
Jenni said…
I am so sorry your kiddo was sick--and on vacation too! :( I hope she enjoyed the bread. It looks fantastic!
Ansh said…
Nicely done, Shilpi. Love the look of this bread. Hope the lil one is all better now.
So happy that your little one is all better and I am sure she enjoyed this lovely loaf of bread.
Karen said…
I'm so glad she is feeling better! How scary for you. Your bread is perfect for making your baby feel better!
Unknown said…
Braided breads always look so elegant! Glad everyone is feeling better.
Camilla M. Mann said…
Happy she is feeling better...and I love the look of your bread. I'm so happy you were able to participate. Thanks for joining.
Julie said…
I am very glad that your daughter is doing better. Sickness in children can be so scary! You are right that plans can just go by the wayside. You did manage to make a beautiful bread though. It sounds delicius!
I'm so glad your daughter is okay. Scary stuff when the kids are sick. I'm sure your beautiful bread was a real pick-me-up.
Hezzi-D said…
I love braided breads. I think they are just so pretty!
Shireen said…
Hope your lil one is feeling better already and has been able to enjoy this lovely looking bread!!
Pavani said…
Good to hear that your daughter is doing well.
What a beautiful bread you got there. Perfectly made!!
Kelster said…
Glad to hear your little one is doing better! Great that you got time to make something that she'd love.
vimalalakshmi said…
awesome braid shilpi....yummy........

Popular posts from this blog

Baked Peas Kachori #Breadbakers

Focaccia Bread #BreadBakers

Oats Garlic Kulcha #BreadBakers