Soft Sugar cookies
Cookies, cookies and cookies..... The kids always wants treats. And when they get Cookies of their choice, then nothing like it. I have been making Sugar Cookies for almost an year now. My recipes before were bit longer, and took about 3-4 hours. And I should not forgot to mention keeping the dough in refrigerator for minimum of half hour to firm the dough. Well, I always do not have that much of time. I can take out the time for baking in stretch, but not in intervals. So, I divided the process in two parts, making the dough 1st day, and keeping it in refrigerator for rest of the day. Then, on 2nd day, I do the baking. But, then sometimes, few things comes up which needs my immediate attention, and then my baking is moved to the next day available.
So, here is the recipe of Sugar Cookies with frosting for you to try.
Ingredients for Cookies-
- Shortening - 1/3 cup
- Salted butter - 1/3 cup ( at room temperature, but not melted)
- White sugar - 3/4 cup
- Egg- 1
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- All Purpose Flour - 1 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Granulated sugar - 2 tbsp
- Mix shortening, salted butter, white sugar, egg and Vanilla extract together.
- In another bowl, mix All Purpose Flour with Baking powder and salt.
- With your hand, add dry mixture to wet mixture, and form a dough.
- Do not overwork the dough, as it will make the cookie hard.
- Cut the balls from the dough equal to the size of Walnut size.
- Roll it in a granulated sugar.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Flatten the ball a little and place it in a baking tray, keeping a distance of 2 inches between two balls.
- Bake it for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottom of the cookie turns light brown.
- Take it out, and let it sit for a minute. Transfer the cookie on the cooling rack.
Ingredients for Cream Cheese frosting -
- Cream Cheese - 1 (8oz)
- Unsalted Butter - 1 (at room temperature)
- Vanilla Essence - 1tsp
- Sugar (powder) - 1 cup
Directions to make a frosting -
- Add cream cheese and butter in a bowl, and beat them with a hand blender.
- When mixed, add Vanilla Essence and mix.
- Now, add Sugar, and keep on beating, until the mixture is light.
- Now, it depends on which purpose you want to use the frosting for. If you want to use it to spread on cake, the mixture should not be very stiff. And, if you are using to decorate the cakes and cookies, then you want your frosting to be stiff. So, keep on beating, until you get the stiffness.