Dal Palak (spinach cooked with Lentils)
I love Spinach (Palak). My menu always has Spinach in some or the other form. I make it a point of eating Spinach 2-3 times in a week. And I especially want my kiddo to eat it. We do know Spinach is a healthy choice for us, but do you know what are the health benefits of Spinach.
- Great Source of Vitamin- C, which in turns helps support immune system and protects from viral infection, promotes wound healing.
- benefits of spinach in nourishing the eyes and building bones. What few know is that it also very good for digestion. Spinach eases constipation and protects the mucus lining of the stomach, so that you stay free of ulcers. It also flushes out toxins from the colon.
- benefit of spinach is its role in skin care. The bounty of vitamins and minerals in spinach can bring you quick relief from dry, itchy skin and lavish you with a radiant complexion. Regular consumption of fresh, organic spinach juice has been shown to improve skin health dramatically.
Ingredients for 4 people-
- Toor Dal - 3 handful
- Fresh Spinach - 1 bunch (finely chopped)
- Garlic - 3-4 pods
- Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
- Tomato - 2 (small, chopped)
- Green Chilli - 2 (slit)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1tsp
- Aamchur Powder - 1tsp
- Cooking Oil - 1tsp
- Boil Toor Dal with little salt.
- Heat oil, add chopped garlic, let it turn golden brown, then add chopped onion and fry till it turns translucent in color.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes and green chilli, and fry till tomatoes turn soft.
- Add all the spices, with a 1/2 cup of water, and fry.
- Now, add chopped spinach and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled Dal in this mixture, let it boil, then reduce the flame, cover and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Keep the consistency of Dal as you desire.
- Enjoy it hot.