Gobhi Ka Aachar (Cauliflower pickle)
My mother's special recipe of Cauliflower's pickle is here. As Kids when we didn't like any vegetables in dinner, we use to take Cauliflower Pickle as a side dish. Every Winter and on alternate weeks, my mom prepares a batch of cauliflower's pickle or mixed vegetables pickle ( which mostly contains beans, cauliflower and carrots). It lasts for about 10 days, and is ready to eat in 1 day, but tastes mush better if eaten after 2-3 days.
My Mom's recipe, loved by us, is here for you guys to try, and fell in love with Cauliflower all over again.
- Cauliflower - 18-20 small florets
- Mustard Oil - 1 bowl
- Fennel seeds- 5 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 5 tbsp
- Coriander seeds - 5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder - 2tbsp
- White Vinegar - 3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 2 tbsp
- Boil Cauliflower in an open vessel, till it turns little soft ( it should not be completely done, it should be little hard).
- Transfer the Cauliflower florets in a paper towel, and let it dry completely for 2-3 hours.
|Boiled and dried florets for 3 hours|
- In another vessel, heat mustard oil, and let it cool down for another 30 minutes.
- Heat other pan, add fennel seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a pan.
- Roast them, till the mixture turns golden brown in color, and its aroma fills your nose.
- Transfer it in a dish, and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes.
- Ground them in a food processor.
- In a big vessel, mix mustard oil with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and grounded mixture.
- Add Cauliflower florets, and mix them together by a big spoon
- When, all the florets is completely covered by oil mixture, add 2 tbsp of white vinegar.
- Mix thoroughly, and keep it covered in the sun.
- By the end of the day, try to cut it by your fingers, if it is getting cut then it's done.
- Add some more salt according to your taste, and 1tsp of red chilli powder, and mix it thoroughly.
- Otherwise, you have to keep it again in sun another day.